Big Muddy is an online journal that annually publishes an 8 x 8 perfectbound, color-cover, print issue.
We are open for submissions year round. We accept fiction, poetry, and essays. Send us your original, previously unpublished manuscripts. Simultaneous submissions are welcome, but we kindy ask that you notify us immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere (if you've submitted multiple pieces, email firstname.lastname@example.org to withdraw part of your submission). Please limit number of individual pieces submitted to: (1) for fiction, non-fiction, or review, (3) for flash fiction, flash non-fiction, (6) for poetry.
We are unable to pay contributors at this time, though if your work is selected for the print issue, you will receive two copies for free.
Please allow up to six months weeks for a response.
Manuscripts Must Be:
- Big Muddy is dedicated to reviewing full-length of any genre books from independent, university, and small presses.
- Reviews should be double-spaced pages (approximately 300-500 words).
- Reviews should be over books published within the last two years.
- All documentation should be in appropriate style for your field.
- We prefer only a minimum of summary. Your educated, supported opinion is most valuable to the review.
- Reviewers are sent one copy of the issue in which their review is published. The review becomes the property of Southeast Missouri State University Press.
All of the usual submission rules and guidelines are the same, this category is just for submitters who want to subscribe to our magazine.
It's important to remember that purchasing a subscription will in no way change our editorial decisions about your work. We'll look at the work just like every other submission. Basically, this is just like submitting your work normally, but you get two lovely issues of Big Muddy after you submit (Note: if your work is accepted, your subscription will begin with the issue following the one that you'll receive contributors copies for).
Please make sure to note the genre of submission in your cover letter, and please do make sure your contact information is correct for the subscription.
Please keep in mind, Tip Jar Submissions will absolutely not influence are editorial decisions about work we accept and reject. We just thought we'd put this here in case you love what we do and wanted to help out.
One last thing: please make sure to specify the genre of your work in your cover letter.